2005 notes from within

Latest in a series of annual blogs, begun in 2000. For past blogs, see my profile.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

And they said global warming was a hoax...

My parents in Europe have regularly expressed their envy at the idyllic sunshine lifestyle I enjoy in Southern California...or should I say "enjoyed" - past tense.

For the past few weeks, the sun has been himself our fair weather friend: reminding us on rare occasions of his charming company, but remaining both elusive and unreliable. Most recently, he has been a veritable deadbeat.

I just came in from - once again - piling up the furniture on my back patio, in an effort to keep it from the liquid tendrils of flood waters, washing through even our flat neighborhood. Last night, my 4-gallon watering can was filled to overflowing by the rainfall, and tonight, our patio - our covered patio - is awash in over 2 inches of water (yes, I measured it). It would be deeper, if it weren't for the fact that the patio is slightly graded toward the driveway. As it is, even with the grading, over 2 inches flow in before the water can get out the other side...

I can't begin to imagine, as I fret over my poor drowing succulents and snapdragons, what the residents of truly seriously affected neighborhoods must be going through. Somewhere in Sun Valley, there is a 100ft-long and 60-ft deep sinkhole, and it's growing bigger by the minute. Somewhere near Irvine, people are reportedly missing, after a massive landslide. Communities in Long Beach and elsewhere are being evacuated, and sections of Los Angeles have been out of power for days.

The rain is here for a while, as is the thunder that rumbles for what seems eternities at a time. The sunshine idyll is no longer, perhaps receving a long overdue washdown.

I can't wait for the spin cycle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home